Reach the Decision Makers Fellowship
Announcing the Reach the Decision Makers 2014 Training Program
Are you a scientist, community member, public health professional or clinician with experience in environmental or reproductive health? You should consider joining the Reach the Decision Makers training program!
Through Reach the Decision Makers you will:
- Learn to educate the US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA) on reproductive environmental health issues of importance to you and/or your community.
- Develop the skills and tools necessary to effectively engage US EPA policy makers.
- Begin to establish relationships and partnerships with US EPA staff.
- Become a powerful communicator on environmental and reproductive health science.
The deadline for applications is 5:00pm PST on Friday, May 2, 2014.
We encourage both individuals and pre-formed teams to apply.
- Pre-formed team. This could be an existing coalition or any group of individuals who want to form a team of four to six individuals. Reach would prefer teams that include a diverse mix of community members, scientists, clinicians, and public health professionals.
- Individuals. Scientists, community members, public health professionals, and clinicians with experience in reproductive or environmental health are encouraged to apply. Individuals who are chosen for the program will be placed into teams based on issues of concern.
Informational conference calls will be held on the following dates and times. Please join us during that time to learn more about Reach and to have your questions answered:
Monday, April 7, 12:00pm – 1:00pm PST; 3:00 – 4:00pm EST
Wednesday, April 9, 12:00pm – 1:00pm PST; 3:00 – 4:00pm EST
Tuesday, April 15, 12:00pm – 1:00pm PST; 3:00 – 4:00pm EST
Please join us during one of these times to learn more about Reach the Decision Makers and to have your questions answered. Please register for one of these calls by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call-in information will be provided at the time of registration.
The Reach the Decision Makers Fellowship trains scientists, community members, clinicians and public health professionals to effectively promote science and health-based policies at the US EPA. Fellows include local, state, and national advocates. Through their involvement, fellows gain a better understanding of the underlying science linking environmental contaminants to reproductive harm and build their skills for shaping environmental health policy at the national level. As part of the project, fellows visit the US EPA in Washington, D.C. to learn more about the Agency’s activities and to share their perspectives on environmental reproductive health science and policy.
The training model utilized for Reach the Decision Makers draws on successful training methods implemented by the Women’s Foundation of California for the Women’s Policy Institute (WPI), which has successfully trained more than 100 nonprofit and community leaders in effective public policy engagement. The WPI model draws upon best practices for adult learning, incorporating three primary modes of instruction to enhance participant learning—reading, listening and doing. Fellows both develop the tools and skills to effectively engage key offices and staff members within the US EPA and learn to work with others to enhance the outcomes of their engagement. Having participants engage US EPA on real policy issues of their own choosing allows them to contribute to immediate and lasting changes in environmental health policy.
Learn more about the Reach the Decision Makers program:
- Read about the accomplishments of the Reach the Decision Makers fellowship in this 2-page overview.
- Watch the 2011 Reach the Decision Makers Fellows Video to learn more about the experience of being a Reach Fellow.
- Application Information
- List of 2013 Fellows and Alumni
- Reach Project Highlights
More information on the Women’s Policy Institute is available at: http://www.womensfoundca.org/womens-policy-institute